The prettiest, saddest face in Bangkok.





It was my last day in Bangkok, Thailand in the summer of 2015. It was, of course a summer to remember. The long week, mini-vacation had come to an end. That morning was a bright, warm and sultry day in Bangkok. The markets were bursting with a sea of diversity as usual at the heart of Bangkok. I was sweating but not feeling even a tad-bit unpleasant. My tour guide, Jennie who also became a pal to me during this trip was the most lively soul ,who leisurely infected everybody with her killer bonhomie charms. It  had been the longest time I met someone like her and it was as refreshing as the green tea macha (Thai style, Xtra large) that I was sipping on, that morning.  To have her as my tour guide was truly just the whole cake in itself, not even the cherry on the top or the icing!


Jennie, in a cool green blouse and cargo shorts along with her fifth husband, Mr.Pong came to pick up my parents and I from our hotel in their creatively designed van. Ooh! What a van ! It was not a regular van. There were woofers installed and it looked like a home from within. All you need was just within your arms' length. And, the most fabulous part was the interiors;it used to change because of the lightings at nights. It looked like we didn't have to go to any night clubs since the party could be held inside that van. I still miss roaming around in that van, breathing the excitement in the Bangkok air , those streets and smiling faces and flashes of lights...sheer nostalgic orgasm. 


However, that morning it would be hard for me to forget. On the 7th day(the last day), we drove to the centre of the city to do some shopping on that morning. Yes, you can shop until you die (not until you drop) in Bangkok! I was insisting on getting a hair cut and also to dye my hair blue. So, Jennie-whose job did not include taking me to a hair salon dropped my parents at the market and took me to her friend's salon to get my hair done. We even managed to pick up some street food in that kind of chaotic rush-hour. I loooovve Bangkok street food! Sticky rice and roasted mini-barbecued-meat sold strung on tiny sticks! Ahhh!! I miss that!! I miss that so very much and some seaweed chips, my favourite! 


I stepped inside this cool salon just at the corner of the street, opposite the centre square where the main shopping complexes were located. The air conditioner was such a relief because as much as I was enjoying the warmth outside, I could've died of a heat stroke.  And, when I entered the salon , who I saw just blew my mind away. For a moment, I thought I was in love. 


There she/he was-in all her/his glory. Whoever she/he was, I did not care where she/he came from or where she/he would be heading next. All I wanted to do was just to watch her/him all day, if real life would've permitted me because I was in awe. She/he was the prettiest thing I ever saw my whole life. Some physical beauty, My God, she/he was a masterpiece. I just stood there at the foot of the door, completely lost in my moment. Yes, I am most definitely weird. Until, Jennie shook me up and pressed the cold green-tea macha (another, Xtra large) against my cheek, looking utterly confused. 


"Hey! Hey! Hurry up! We have to get to the airport! And, this is gonna take time !! Come here !!" said Jennie in her normal  chirpy tone. 


My cheeks turned the colour of beetroot. Because the salon girl gave me wet-wipes, which smelled strongly of lavender and asked me if the Bangkok heat was too much for me, partly teasing me. 


I must've looked like a fool staring at the prettiest human being like that. I don't even know how many seconds must have passed but that moment felt like an eternity. 


I took the chilled macha from Jennie and took my seat on the electronic chair and waited for the experts to get on with my hair. There was this life-size mirror in front of me and I tried so hard just to look at my red-face or my feet as much as I could but the girl/boy being there, right behind me distracted me to the core. I just couldn't focus. It was not only about her/his physical beauty. Of course, she/he had a slender neck and a voluptuous figure and everything. Eyes, so round and lips so sensuous. There was nothing imperfect about that person. But I cannot forget the way she/he looked at me back through the same life-size mirror. Initially she/he was reading the paper and there came a moment where we looked at each other at the same time and thats when I caught her/his glance. A glance, I could never never forget. I don't know what was it about that glance or that moment or about her/him. It gripped me. Then she/he gave me a weak smile, that was the only time I felt a pang of hurt in my heart because at that moment, I saw the prettiest human being in Bangkok looked the saddest even while she/he was smiling. It was those glazed,magnificent brown eyes. They looked at me like I was the prettiest girl in the world and as if she/he wished she /he were in my place, sitting on the chair where I was sitting. There was a certain longing in that look. What an irony! I wanted to look like her/him because she/he was so damned gorgeous!! Good Lord, I was confused with all kinds of emotions brewing within me. I gave her/him my smile back, which I hoped indicated and showed my appreciation for her/him being there. Then, it was her/his turn, she/he came and sat next to me on the adjacent chair. The hairdresser removed her/his wig. She/he looked ethereal, so elegant. My hair was done by then. She/he looked at me sweetly and admired my hair. Then she/he looked at me and said-


"You look beautiful."


I was so overwhelmed with emotions. All I wanted to do was hug her/him, hug her/him until she/he would smile happily again because it broke my heart to see the prettiest human being in Bangkok so sad, with so much pain in her/his glances. 


What a coward I was ! I could only manage to say a shy, "Thank you!"


However, we exchanged a final smile that felt both genuine and content. Somehow, I felt we could feel each other. And, a wave of joy and gratitude spread over my heart and soul. I shook her/his hand and also thanked everybody at the salon and left with Jennie. 


That was the last time I saw the prettiest, saddest human being  in Bangkok, in the summer of 2015. I pray, hope and wish that she/he found her own happiness. I would always wish her 

/him happiness because her/his smile resonated with my soul, forever. 




Comments

Popular Posts